Pioneer Portuguese Families of the Sacramento Area
Joseph S. PAVAO was born in Flamengos, Faial, on March 4, 1877, the son of Manuel Pavao and the former Rosa Sousa Nunes. Rosa was born in Pico in 1853. Joseph married MARIA MERCES SILVEIRA of Santa Barbara, Terceira, who immigrated to the United States in 1908. Maria's parents were Joseph and Maria Silveira of Sao Jorge. One of the Silveira daughters, Maria Gloria Silveira, had started a girls' orphanage in Angra, Terceira, the Asilo de Infancia Desvalida, that sheltered as many as 60 girls. It was in the charge of the Irmandade de Nossa Senhora do Livramento.
Maria Silveira Pavaos mother was a cousin of Joaquim A. Silveira, who in 1899 had founded the American Creamery Company in Oakland which gave employment to many Portuguese immigrants in the Bay Area. He had visited Sao Jorge in 1905 and sought to have Maria Merces come to California, but because of the San Francisco earthquake in 1906 she declined. In 1908 she did come out.
Joseph Pavao had worked for Silveiras creamery in Oakland, and then in 1915 bought a grocery store in Gridley, Calif. He died in 1920, and his widow moved with their children to Woodland. The children:
Lulu Pavao, who married Carl J. Humphrey; Manuel, who died of leukemia in 1926; Maria, who died in 1935; Oscar, who died in 1962, and who had married Bertha Azevedo, daughter of Frank Domingos Azevedo and the former Carrie Valine (daughter of Antone P. Valine);and Joseph Sousa Pavao, who married Lyda Oliveira of Oakland.
John ALFONSO PEREIRA came to Sacramento from Sao Braz de Aportel in the Algarve, and then returned to Portugal to find a new wife and start a new family because of an accident that killed his former wife and three children. This was during the Depression of 1929, when all the banks were folding. He was able to get his money, and returned to Portugal as a rich man.
There he purchased and improved farm land in Sitio Peral, and married ROSA MAR-TINS, born August 1908 in the Algarve, and daughter of Francisco Martins and Maria Batista.
John Pereira returned to Sacramento in 1931 to make a home for his new family, and then in 1932 sent for his wife, Rosa, and their year-old son, Joaquin Martins Pereira, born November 2, 1931 in the Algarve. Mother and son arrived in New York in January 1933, and took a train to Sacramento to be with John Pereira in North Sacramento.
They lived on property owned by North Sacramento Land Company on a site near the present Sacramento City dump. Construction of the Elvis freeway took the house, so they moved to the Robla area and farmed a tract of land on Bell near Sully.
Son Joaquin recalled putting up fence posts with his father around the perimeter of the property in the winter when the ground was wet, later seeing many of those green posts grow into trees. They also put in a windmill pump made of Montgomery Wards windmill parts and old car frames for the tower. Their cows had plenty of water and pasture. John and Rosa worked hard at farming to pay for the farm and raise four children. They had a good-sized herd of cows and many pigs
The year 1940 was especially difficult. John Pereira became ill with sleeping sickness (encephalitis) and died in August 1940 when young Joaquin was nine years old, daughter Josephine was seven, Rosie was six, and Joseph was five years old.
Rosa didn't speak English, and though many friends helped the family, they had to sell the animals and move to Silver Eagle Road where they had an acre of ground. They bought an old street car from Sacramento, and lived in it until Rosa married again.
Her second marriage was to ANTONIO P. SOUZA who was born in Portugal on March 1884. He immigrated to the United States by himself in 1914, and reached California in 1915.
He found a job in Natomas working in an orchard, and then in 1920 he bought a small ranch down the road from where he worked. At the time of their marriage he owned the Lisbon fruit ranch in Natomas.
Together, Rosa and Tony Souza had three more children: Domingos, Carmen, and Alvin. Tony Souza died in 1970, and Rosa in 1967. They had lived in Natomas until their deaths. The ranch in Natomas was left to the children: Joaquin, Joseph, and Rose Pereira; Josephine Pereira Page, Carmen Souza Shaffer; and Domingos (Martin) and Alvin Souza.
Domingos Martins Souza built a home on one end of the ranch and worked for the City of Sacramento. Carmen and her husband Dick Shaffer built a new home where the old family home had been. Alvin Souza worked for the Sacramento Municipal Utility District, where at age 16 he was electrocuted while working.
Joaquin Martins Pereira, Rosas son by John Alfonso Pereira, farmed, graduated from college, and then joined the California Highway Patrol. He was the first recipient of a Cabrillo Club scholarship, which encouraged him to get a degree. He completed 30 years as a CHP motorcycle officer, and then on retirement continued pursuing his hobbies of building houses and investing in real estate.
[Joaquin M. Pereira]
ANTONE PERRY (Antonio Pereira Rodrigues) was born in Faial on March 26, 1831. He was a baker in Faial before coming to the United States as a young man, settling first in New Bedford, Mass., for a short while, and then traveling to California and Sacramento in 1854 before it was the State Capitol. Family stories have it that he saw Abraham Lincoln at some point in his cross-country journey.
He worked on farms in the Pocket area of Sacramento, and also had a freight business delivering produce to miners and towns in the foothills and mountains of northern California. That was before he met MARY GLORIA SILVA, who was to become his wife.
She had crossed the continent by covered wagon when she was four years old, reaching the Sacramento area in 1859. Maria was born in the Azores in May 1854 to Joseph and Maria Silva, and probably came to America with her uncle and aunt godparents, Mr. and Mrs. Manuel da Rosa.
Antone and Maria were married on May 2, 1867, Maria, a minor, and 20 years younger than her husband, having obtained permission from her godparents. A year later, on September 1, 1868, the newlyweds joined the Da Rosas in a joint-purchase of 45 acres of river-bottom swampland in tl-;e Pocket area for $2,000, half of it in gold coin and the balance in gold due in a year at 1/2-percent interest. With hard work and dedication, the two families cleared and drained the property, turning it into fertile land.
Maria was attending her daughter Clara during and after the birth of Clara's child Joseph on January 9, 1909, when she suddenly fell ill, and died the next day, at age 55. Antone survived until May 2, 1917, age 86, having kept active on the farm following his wifes death. Meanwhile, he had changed his name to Antone Perry because of postal confusion. The rest of the family adopted the name Perry, also.
276 - Portuguese Pioneers of the Sacramento Area
The Perrys raised ten children, all born in Sutter Township (which included the Pocket). Two died as infants, Veronica in 1912, and Wilbert in 1914. The others:
MARY PERRY, born in 1871, married ANTONE BETTENCOURT. Their children: Mae Snyder, Erma, and Edward. He married Hilda Brown.
ANTONE PERRY Jr. (1873-1950) married AMELIA BETTENCOURT, who died in 1946. Children: Minnie, who married John Corey; William; Alfred, Madeline, who married Pat Freitas and had children Elvira, Barbara Jean, and Ramona; Olivia, who married John Enos and had children Elwood and Darlene; and Lawrence, who by his first wife, Emma Del Carlo, had children Robert, Rosana, and Susan, and by second wife Jeanette Maddox had Laurie and Amelia.
EMMA PERRY, born in 1S75, married MANUEL LEWIS. Their daughter Minnie wed Frank Gomes and bore Elmer, Marvin, and Marie; son Manuel married Myrtle Doyle; Joseph wed Elsie Tachera; and sons Ernest and Frank were single.
FATIMA PERRY (Minnie), twin of Joseph (described below) was born in 1877 and died in 1936. She married Joseph AZEVEDO SR. in 1894. He died January 19, 1944. Their children: Edward, who married Marian Semas; and Joseph Jr., who married Lilly Souza and had daughters LaVerna and Beverly.
CLARA PERRY (1881-1970) married John Joseph MACHADO in 1900. Their children: Maria Gloria (Mamie), who married Victor D. Silva and had children Marvin and Dolores (Greenslate); Joseph, who wed Camille King; Rosaline, who married Manuel Gonsalves Silva, and had children Helen, Manuel Jr., and Donalda; and Albert, who married Winifred King and had a son, Kenneth. (See SILVA.)
CARRIE PERRY (1885-1973) married John AZEVEDO. Their children: Joseph married Marie Nevis and had a daughter, Carol; Ralph married Marge Jacinto; Edward married Amelia Morris; and Ernest stayed single.
MAGGIE PERRY married Jessie ALVES, and had a daughter, Madeline. WILLIAM PERRY, about whom no information is available.
Joseph PERRY, Minnie's twin, worked with his father, Antone, on the Pocket-area ranch. One spring day he made the long journey to Folsom to attend the Portuguese Holy Ghost festa, and there met young Josie MARSHALL of Newcastle, daughter of Manuel Marshall and the former Philomina Armas. She was born June 15, 1886. Despite the distance between the Pocket and Newcastle, they courted, and on November 4, 1908, married at the old St. Theresa's Church in Auburn. (See MARSHALL.)
They honeymooned in San Francisco, Santa Clara, and San Jose shortly after the earthquake, and then settled on the Perry ranch in the Pocket to start a family. They lost their first son, Walter, a few days after birth, and then lost a daughter at birth. Their third child, Evelyn, was born May 14, 1913, and daughter Lorraine on October 22, 1917.
Joe and Josie Perry ran a productive farm, growing all of their own food, and taking the excess into town to sell. They grew tomatoes, pears, apples, figs, walnuts, elderberries, alfalfa, cabbage, and beans, and raised horses, cows, pigs, chickens, and rabbits.
One day shortly after Easter in 1922, they had a tragic fire which destroyed their home. (An account of the fire and how the community rallied to their help is told in Chapter 15, Community Spirit.)
In 1933 the Perrys bought their first car, a new Chevrolet. They planned to drive to Pacific Grove, and the salesman told them that if they could make it over the Pacheco Pass they would make it all the way. Josie had never driven a car, but she loaded it up, got behind the wheel, and took off. After several flat tires they made it to Pacific Grove. She continued to drive until well after she was 80 years old.
Joe Perry was a quiet family man who enjoyed spending time at home with his family and friends. He was well respected and liked by everyone, especially the children of the area, whom he permitted to play baseball in a lot on the front of his property, now the site of the Lewis Park playground.
Josie, a strong and warm woman, was very active. She was especially fond of the holidays, decorating the house beautifully at Christmas time, and at Halloween making ghosts out of sheets and putting them in the fields around the house to scare the children.
Going into town was a big deal for the Perrys as it was for other farm families. They would get all dressed up and take the car or the carriage before that sell their cream and meat, and then enjoy themselves for the rest of the day, and doing their major shopping (the small items they would buy at the small Portuguese-owned stores near the ranch). Joe Perry would go to the barber, and they would eat out at a restaurant or with family.
Times were good on the farm, but there were hard times, also. The Depression was especially difficult. Even though there was always food on the table, they couldnt sell their pigs for a profit. Joseph got older, and there were no boys to take over the farm, so in 1939 they sold the farm and moved to Sacramento.
They bought a house on 42nd Street, and Joe worked at McClellan Air Force Base for a while. Then, while he was at a barber shop, he suffered a stroke. His daughter Lorraine and husband Americo DAlessandro took him into their home, where he died shortly afterwards on January 19, 1944.
After Joe's death, Josie remained active, becoming very involved with Portuguese lodges and societies and with her church. She worked in Hale's baby department where she won an award for best salesperson.
For many years she and Joe had been friends of MANUEL PAULINO, a native of the Azores, whose wife, the former Maria Silveira Alvernaz, died upon giving birth to their daughter Eleanor (Rainboth). Josie and Manuel Paulino were married on November 17, 1946, at St. Elizabeth's Church. Manuel became ill, and died of cancer on February 16, 1959, leaving Josie again a widow.
As Josie grew older, her health failed. She suffered a stroke, and lived with her two daughters. When Lorraine and Americo DAlessandro moved into Josie's duplex on 37th Street, she moved in with them. She died on February 11, 1975.
Her daughter Evelyn Perry, who was born on the family farm in the Pocket, attended Upper Lisbon School and St. Joseph's Academy in Sacramento. In 1930 she met Frank J. Nor-deste at a dance at the AADES Portuguese Hall on Pocket Road, and they married on August 2, 1932. Evelyn was employed at Hale's department store later to become Weinstocks for 45 years. Frank worked for Capitol Box Company and then for the City of Sacramento Department of Parks and Recreation.
Both Frank and Evelyn were active in Portuguese organizations, serving as local chapter pesidents of several. In addition, Frank served as State Supreme President of the IDES and Cabrillo Civic Clubs, and Evelyn served as State Supreme President of the UPPEC. The first meeting of the Portuguese Historical and Cultural Society was held in Evelyn's home.
Frank died on September 2, 1982, and Evelyn subsequently married Art Tachera.
Daughter Lorraine was also born on the Pocket-area ranch, attended Upper Lisbon School and St. Josephs Academy in downtown Sacramento. She used to start from her home to walk the five miles from her home to the end of the 10th Street streetcar line on Riverside Blvd., to take the streetcar to school, but almost always caught a ride from someone, and only once had to walk the entire distance. At St. Joseph's, Lorraine ran for student-body president for the
1934-35 school year, and won by a large margin. In the winter of 1935 Lorraine met Americo DAlessandro at a Southside Park soccer game. They were married at the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacramento on November 25, 1937, Thanksgiving Day. Americo was a photographer for the Federal Government, and Lorraine became a successful business person. She owned and operated "Lorraine's, a restaurant and catering business in the Elks Building at 11th and J Streets from 1959 until 1969 when she opened Lorraine's Ice Cream Parlor at 2815 J Street.
Lorraine died of cancer May 1, 1984, at age 66. She and Americo had four children: Antoinette married John Lane; Paul married Bonnie Knight; Susan married Ronald Hanna; and Joe married Kathie Olson.
[Joe DAlessandro; Evelyn N. Tachera]
FRANK PERRY (Francisco Pereira) was born a twin on October 18, 1847 in Faial. He left his native land at age 16 and until the 1870s crewed on a whaling vessel, working as a baker. (His nickname was "Padeiro," meaning baker.)
He jumped ship in San Francisco and walked to Folsom, where he worked as a miner. Sometime in the 1870s in the Sacramento Cathedral he married MARIA Jacinta, who was born May 19, 1846, in Pico. They made their home in the Natoma area of Folsom, and had six children: Mary Rogers, Katie, Antone R. Perry, Frank A. Perry, Belle Rogers, and Joseph R. Perry, all born in Folsom. He died March 20, 1926 in Ophir, Placer County. His wife, in feeble health for some time, died October 15, 1910, in Folsom. Both are buried in the St. John's Catholic Cemetery in Folsom.
[Mary Rogers Davis; Adeline E. Serpa]
FRANK PERRY was born in Madeira in 1847. He had been a baker in Madeira. There he married CAROLINA NUNES, who was born in Madeira in 1865. From Madeira they went to the Hawaiian Islands on a two-year contract to work in the sugarcane fields. Two children, Manuel and Mary, were born there, Mary in 1885 and Manuel in 1887. They came to California around 1888 and settled in Folsom where two more children, Carolina (Cora) and Rita, were born, Cora in 1889 and Rita in 1892.
Carolina planted inhames which she sold to Portuguese from the Bay Area. Frank worked for the PG&E Railroad. He was a musician and played the concertina and castanets. At 86, Carolina passed her federal naturalization examination at the courthouse in Sacramento and became a citizen of the U.S.
Frank Perry died in 1927 and Carolina in 1953. Both are buried in the Folsom Catholic cemetery, as are most of their children and their spouses, and some of their grandchildren. Their children:
MARY FRANCES PERRY, their daughter, married MANUEL FRANCIS CASTRO, who was born in Madeira in 1870. He worked for the PG&E Railroad here. Mary Frances died in 1976 and her husband in 1958. They had two sons, Alfred and Billy.
MANUEL Joseph PERRY married ALVINA FERRERA, who was born in Folsom in 1892 and died 1960. Manuel celebrated his 96th birthday in 1983. He worked at the Gray Wing Mine in Blue Ravine as a young man, for Natomas Gold Dredgers, and for Folsom State Prison as a guard.
CORA PERRY married John Joseph CASTRO, son of Antoinette and Joseph Castro of Madeira. He was born January 25, 1880, and died May 28, 1940. Their children: Ruth A., Edith M., and John Robert.
RITA PERRY married ANTONE AUGUST SOUZA, who was born in 1881 in Villa Cortez, Lisbon, and who went to Folsom as a young man. There he worked first in the Gray Wing Mine in Blue Ravine, and then for Natomas Gold Dredgers. They were married at St. Johns Catholic Church in Folsom in 1910. Tony Souza died March 18, 1977. Both Rita and Tony are buried at St. Mary's Cemetery, Sacramento. Their children: Theresa Caroline, Clarence, John Thomas, Alyce Ruth, and Robert.
[Adeline E. Serpa]
MANUEL PERRY, SR. was born about 1890 in Lisbon. He came to Sacramento about 1909 and worked for Joe F. "Milhomens Silva, cutting asparagus in the Pocket.
He married ANNA SILVA on September 1, 1917, at the Sacramento Cathedral. She was born February 14, 1900 on the Manuel Gracia farm on Riverside Road, and attended Lower Lisbon School. After they were married they moved to Stockton where he worked on the river barges in 1917-1918.
Returning to Sacramento, they settled in the Pocket in a house across the road from the Joe F. "Milhomens Silva ranch. The home was later moved across the road from the Frank and George Rogers homes. The 12 acres the home was moved to was purchased at that time. They raised asparagus, tomatoes, onions, cabbage, and chickens, had two horses to work with, one milk cow, and a goat for milk.
Manuel Perry, whose nickname was "Parola," (meaning idle talk), died February 1954, age 64, in Sacramento.
The children of Manuel and Anna: Mary, born in 1918 in Stockton, and died there; Anna (Stigman), born in 1919; Manuel Jr., born in 1921, and died August 6, 1963, age 42; Margaret, who died as an infant in 1923; Joe, born in 1926; Rita, born in 1927; Bob and Emily, birth years not known.
[Marie T. Gambrel]
THOMAS F. PERRY, a native of Faial, ran away from home at age 17, went to sea and made three voyages around the world. Later he was steward on a Long Island Sound steamer plying between Fall River, Mass., and New York City.
He arrived in Newcastle in the late 1870s and bought a ranch of 160 acres, part of which he later sold. He was one of the first to plant fruit in that district. He and four associates organized the Lincoln Cannery, and he was on the first board of directors. He was influential in politics and prominent in fraternal orders.
He married MARY EMILY CORREA, born in Newcastle, and daughter of the late Joseph K. Correa, Sr. Thomas Perry died January 16, 1920.
Their son, FRANK E. PERRY, attended the Newcastle school and was graduated from Placer Union High School in 1909. He first went to work in the fruit-packing house in Newcastle. To gain a business training, however, he went to work for the White House in San Francisco, and later he did newspaper work for the San Francisco Bulletin.
In 1914 he opened a stationery and candy store in old Auburn, and in 1918 he established a business on Lincoln Way, where he carried in stock one of the most complete assortments of high-grade stationery and candies to be found in northern California.
In 1914 Frank Perry married Julia MARSHALL of Newcastle, and they had a daughter, Lois.
[History of Placer and Nevada Counties, 1924]
Joseph PETERS (1831-1917) married Mary Romana De Costa. (See De COSTA.)
FRANK PETERS (Pereira) was born in Faial in about 1859, the son of Frank and Catherine Pereira, and traveled alone to California in 1877 at age 18. He assumed the name Perry when he immigrated to the U.S. and went by the name Frank Perry until 1887 when he had it legally changed to Peters at the courthouse in Auburn because there were five Frank Perrys in Newcastle and mail was always getting fouled up. He died at age 55 around 1914.
He worked as a section foreman for the Southern Pacific at Newcastle, and then in 1891 bought 20 acres of uncleared land in the Ophir district, cleared it and planted an orchard.
His wife, MARY ARMES, was born in Flores in 1879, the daughter of Manuel P. and Frances L. (Naia) Armas, who came cross-country to California by way of New York in 1879. They had 12 children: Frank, Joseph (who died young), another Joseph, Mary (Mrs. Frank C. Perry), Carrie (Mrs. Bettencourt), Julia (Mrs. Nunes), Virginia (Mrs. Machado), Olive (Mrs. Silva), Adeline (Mrs. Enos), Elwyn, Ernest and Elmer.
Son Joseph PETERS, born in 1888 in Newcastle, was reared in the Newcastle area, worked for his father and, later, for other fruit orchardists. Joseph married MICHAELINA AMELIA PEREIRA (known as Myrtle) on October 12, 1910, at Auburn. Myrtle, born April 23, 1890, in Horta, Faial, came to California July 4, 1910. They had one son, Elmer Joseph Anthony Peters, who lived in Wheatland CA.
Joseph remained connected with the fruit industry as orchardist and field representative for American National Foods. He was also employed by the Placer County Road Dept. for a few years, and worked for the Oro Fina Mining Co. He died April 13, 1967, in Auburn. Myrtle died August 8, 1973, in Yuba City.
[Elmer J. Peters]
GEORGE PETERS (Jose Souza) was born in the Azores April 26, 1833 or 1835, probably in Sao Jorge. He immigrated to the United States in 1848, landing in New York. He sailed for four years on American vessels. He then left Boston on board the clipper New Flying Fish for California, landing in San Francisco.
He arrived in Sacramento in the fall of 1852, remaining two months while he worked in a flour warehouse for $8 a day. For the next 14 years he mined, with some success. In 1865 he purchased a ranch of 140 acres of choice river land on the Sacramento River, six miles south of the city. He married BELLE NEVES (Isabella, Joseph Miller's sister) on November 12, 1862. She was born in 1839 or 1841 ( His tombstone notes an 1835 birth, but the 1870 Census lists George as age 37, and Belle as age 29.). They farmed in the Pocket on land valued then at $8,000, being the former owners of the Frank Lewis Sr. ranch located north of the Garcia ranch towards Portuguese Hall.
Their children: Isabelle (Belle), Antone, Manuel, Joseph, Mary (died as infant), Mary, and Ida.
Tombstones dates show George Peters, November 6, 1907, 72 years, and Isabella November 6, 1917, age 78. They are in the family plot with Mary Peters Joseph's wife) 1878-1934; Edward Peters, son of Manuel, who drowned July 6, 1929, age 16; and an "Uncle King who died August 23, 1917, 76 years, whom surviving family members do not remember.
George Peters was the uncle of Almiro Maciel, blacksmith in the Riverside/Pocket area, who was from Sao Jorge and was sponsored by his uncle to come to America.
[Ann Maciel Radman; History of Sacramento County, 1890; Dolores Silva Greenslate]
ANTONE PIMENTEL was born in 1862, and came to the Pocket area of Sacramento from Fresno in 1893. His mother, Mary, was a Neves, who died in June 1918. He married ANNA LEONORA SILVEIRA, widow of Manuel da Rosa Garcia, who died in 1889. (See GARCIA.) Antone and Anna had one child, TONY PIMENTEL, who was born November 27, 1893.
After Manuel Garcia's death, Anna Leonora was left with their five small children and needed help. Antone Pimentel came from Fresno to visit his brother who was attemping to court the beautiful Anna Leonora. She spurned the brother and sent him away and he left town. Antone, not finding his brother, accepted her plea for help and hired on as a ranch hand. He became her suiter and later became her second husband.
Antone Pimentel lived only two years after his marriage with Anna Leonora. He was killed in a duck-hunting accident. He was reaching for his gun in the boat and the trigger caught on the bottom, discharging the gun and hitting him in the torso. He was with his stepson, Manuel Garcia Jr. It is reported that all he said, in Portuguese, was "Goodbye to all of you," and died in 1895.
Again widowed, Anna Leonora moved with her son from the Pocket to Sacramento where she had bought a piece of property at 11th and S Streets, and had a house and barn built there.
About five years after Antone Pimentel died, Anna Leonora returned to the Azores and brought her mother, Leonora Jacinta Leal Silveira, back with her to live in the home at 11th and S Streets. Leonora Jacinta died in 1921 at age of 101. (See SILVEIRA.)
Anna bought a pony for young Tony, and he became the first Bee boy on Riverside Road, delivering the paper from Y Street to as far south as the Garcia ranch where he was born.
Around 1912, when Tony was about 19, Anna Leonora bought the building and liquor license of the Ingleside Inn to set up her son in business. In partnership with his brother-in-law Ernest Alvin Savoie, who was married to Tony's half-sister Anna (daughter of Anna Leonora and Manuel da Rosa Garcia), Tony formed a partnership to operate the saloon, later known as Pimentel's Ingleside Cafe or simply Pimentel's saloon. Today it's The Trap, at the intersection of Riverside Blvd. and 43rd Avenue. (See Chapter 11.)
Tony was too young to tend bar, so he handled the grocery end of the business while Al Savoie tended bar. When Tony became of age he also took on duties as bartender. Later, Al became sick, and Tony bought out his share of the business, continuing to run the saloon himself.
Anna Leonora Pimentel never remarried. She died April 2, 1928.
On January 21, 1916, at St. Joseph's Church in Clarksburg, Tony married MAGGIE VALINE, daughter of Antone Valine of Clarksburg, and lived in a house behind the Ingleside Inn until a new house was built around 1924, still standing, to the west of The Trap's present location. Later, in partnership with Al and Annie Savoie who lived in the tank house next to the new house, Tony and Maggie acquired 15 more acres on which was located a large barn which was also used as a blacksmith shop by Almiro Maciel. Tony and Maggie bought the 15 acres outright when Annie Savoies illness forced her to move into town.
With purchase of the acreage, Tony became more interested in farming, and hired others to handle the saloon business while he concentrated on farming. He sold the Ingleside Inn in 1930.
Tony Pimentel died August 26, 1968. He and Maggie had three children: Lloyd Pimentel, who died April 19, 1951, at age 34; Kathryn, who married William A. Weitman; and Geraldine Pimentel Quintana. Kathryn died February 1, 1985, at age 66, and her husband seven months later, on September 1.
[Maggie Valine Pimentel]
MANUEL FERNANDES PINTO, Jr. came from Ilhavo, District of Aveiro, province of Douro, Litoral, in northern Portugal, the son of Manuel Fernandes Pinto Sr. and Rosa Balerio. Rosa was the daughter of Luis Pereira da Silva and Maria de Reis. Manuel Pinto Jr. married MARY ROSA PEREIRA da SILVA, and had five children: Julio, Joao, Manuel, Fernan-da, and Beatriz. Joao and Fernanda live in Portugal, and Manuel in Venezuela. Beatriz is deceased.
Manuel Pinto Jr. was a seaman aboard steamships, such as cargo freighters, sailing to various countries. He immigrated to the United States in 1918, and lived in San Francisco where he worked on the Sacramento River boats, carrying cargo and passengers to and from San Francisco. In 1924 he made Brooklyn, N.Y., his home port, and then in 1926 moved in with his brother, Joaquim Pinto, in Carteret, N.J., so he could take care of his son Julio, who had arrived from Portugal.
Julio Pereira Pinto, the oldest of the five children, was born February 22, 1910, in Ilhavo, where he was raised until age 15 when his mother decided that the best way to keep him out of the Portuguese army when he reached 18 was to send her son to his father in the U.S. At that time there were no passenger ships going from Lisbon to New York, so Julio traveled by train from Lisbon through Spain to Cherbourg, France, where he boarded the passenger ship President Roosevelt.
He left Cherbourg on December 16, 1926, and arrived at Ellis Island in New York on December 23rd. Julio's father was supposed to be there at Ellis Island waiting for him, but he didnt show up until two hours later. They hadnt seen each other since Julio was eight years old, so they didn't recognize each other at first. But Manuel Pinto recognized the overcoat Julio was wearing because it used to be his, made smaller to fit Julio.
When Manuel Pinto moved in with his brother Joaquim in Carteret, N.J., he took a job working in a copper factory with his brother. He thought he could find a job there for his son, too, but that wasn't possible as Julio was not quite 16.
Manuel then decided in 1927 to go back to sea, the job he loved the most. In those times, at the start of the Depression, it was difficult to find a job. But Manuel had a very good friend of his, Jose Espiga, who owned a boarding house in Newark, N.J. Espiga told Manuel, "0.K., you go back to sea and I'll take of your son Julio."
So Jose Espiga gave Julio Pinto his very first job in the U.S., washing dishes and serving food to the tables of his boarders, around 40 men, all immigrants from continental Portugal.
Julio got his second job in 1928 at Singer Sewing Maching Co. in Elizabeth Port, N.J., where he worked until 1931, losing the job along with 800 other employees when the company went out of business. From then on life was rough, but Julio survived by getting different types of jobs.
World War II began in 1941, and Julio decided to join the army. He served with the 95th Medic Gas Treatment Batallion, attached to the 3rd U.S. Army, until July 1945. When he returned from overseas service he decided to visit his mother in Portugal for the first time in 20 years. He was 36 years old. He stayed in Portugal for six months, and made a lot of good friends.
One beautiful afternoon in the village square in Ilhavo he met two men from California, one from Oakland and one from San Francisco. In the course of conversation one of the men asked Julio, What in the world are you living in New Jersey for? I hear its so cold there. Why dont you come to California? The weather there is almost like here in Portugal."
Back in New Jersey, in 1948 Julio remembered the conversation with his two new friends, and decided to visit them in California. He liked it so well he decided to stay, settling since then in Sacramento. He worked at McClellan Air Force Base for 24 years, retiring in 1970.
By his first wife he has a son, Richard Pinto, who lives in Morristown, N.J.; and from another marriage a daughter, Denise Brown, living in Roseville, Calif. In 1980 Julio married the former Ann Jacinto, widow of Edward Comer. Ann was one of 12 children of Frank and Rae (Childers) Jacinto. (See Jacinto.)
ANTONIO De REIS PIRES was born January 1, 1887, in Freira Braganca, Portugal. On December 3, 1911, he left Oporto on the ship Willesden and arrived in Hilo, Hawaii, on March 3, 1912.
He was married on July 11, 1914 to SARAH CABRAL, daughter of John Lazarus and Maria Maloa Cabral, who went to Hawaii from Terceira on November 1, 1883.
Antonio and Sarah had six children: Margaret and Hilda, who were born in Hilo; and Frank, John, Emily and Evelyn, who were born in Sacramento. John Pires was killed aboard the cruiser Birmingham on October 24, 1944, in Leyte Gulf, the Philippines, in World War II. Frank served in the army in the European theater during the war.
Antonio died February 28, 1948, and Sarah on June 9, 1964. Antonio was very active in the UPC No. 3 lodge of Sacramento. Their children: Margaret, who married Manuel Rose; Hilda, who married Oscar Taverna; Emily, who married Rudy Nobriga; and Evelyn, who married Leo Call.
[Hilda P. Taverna]
MANUEL J. RELVAS was born in Sao Jorge in 1843, and sailed for the U.S. by way of Cape Horn in 1852. He worked at the Blue Ravine Mine near Folsom, where he helped build the first mill races. He had two brothers who also immigrated to the U.S. John, who settled in Folsom, and Joe, in the San Joaquin Valley.
In 1884 Manuel married ISABEL FRANCIS, who was born on October 9, 1867, the daughter of Antone and Maria Jacinta Francis of Pico. (See FRANCIS.) Manuel and Isabel Relvas had ten children, raising eight of them: Joseph M. Relvas, Isabel (Birdie) Brum, Louisa A. Mendes, Minnie Relvas, Jessie R. Maderos, Emanuel (Gip) Relvas, William A. Relvas, all born at Mississippi Bar in the Folsom area, and Francis Relvas, born at Willow Spring Hill.
Manuel died October 9, 1918, and Isabel on August 5, 1952.
Among their grandsons: Norbert J. "Abc" Relvas, who opened the Sutter Club on Sutter Street in Folsom in 1936, and owned the Sutter Gaslight Theater which opened in 1961. During Abcs service in the Army Transport Service in World War II his late wife Irene carried on the business of the club with assistance of the late Pat" Kipp.
He was one of the original group to sponsor the incorporation of the city and served on the City Council for three terms. He was also active in proposing the western-style covered sidewalks; was a charter member of the Lions Club there; member of the Elks Lodge of Sacramento and E. Clampus Vitus pioneer fraternity. He became a real estate broker in 1959.
Grandson Alfred J. "Al" Relvas earned his degree in pharmacy at the Pharmacy School of United States in San Francisco in 1928. He worked for the late Lee Barton from 1928 to 1938 when he purchased the pharmacy. He sold it in 1961, then working only an occasional shift. He also sold real estate.
Al was a charter member of Folsom Rotary, and was the second Folsom Rotarian to receive the Paul Harris Fellowship award "for outstanding contributions to the community." He was also a councilman for the City of Folsom. During the war he was a chief pharmacists mate in the Navy from 1942 to 1945 while retaining ownership of the pharmacy.
[Adeline F. Serpa]
Joseph GONSALVES RICO, was born in Terceira and attended grammar school there. In July 1908 in Biscoito, Terceira, he married DELFINA SIMONS.
They arrived in the Riverside/Pocket area in 1886. Joseph farmed all his life, on acreage in Folsom, Natomas, near the Signal Depot in Sacramento, and in Vallejo, in addition to the Riverside area. They had six children: Gloria Howell, Rose Meckfessel, Joseph Rico Jr., Elsie Lynch, Agnes Rico, and Bill Rico. Joseph Jr. died in 1944 at age 32. Elsie, who had married Clarence "Bud" Lynch, died July 2, 1989, at age 75. She conducted gambling-bus tours from Sacramento to Reno and Lake Tahoe.
Joseph Rico Sr. died March 9, 1929 at Mercy Hospital, Sacramento. Delfina died January 23, 1976. She had also married a Da Roza and a Souza.
Joseph's brother John Gonsalves Rico married Alzora Lopes in Gustine on February 2, 1920. Other siblings were Frank Rico (1873-1936), Antone, Manuel, Joaquim, Mrs. L. Brass, and Mary Simons.
[Elsie Rico Lynch]
Jose FRANCISCO RODRIGUES (1854-1919), son of Jose Francisco and Rosa
Isabel (Nunes) Rodrigues, was born in 1854 at Praia do Almoxarife, Faial. His godparents were Julio and Carlotta Nunes, siblings of his mother.
He sailed around 1876 from Faial, and settled on the West Coast where he met the former CATHERINE Jessie FRANCISCO, American-born widow of a Mr. Williams, and mother of one child, John Williams. Born in 1864, Catherine was ten years Joses junior. Catherine was the daughter of Antone and Maria Francisco, originally of Pico.
They were married in the summer of 1885 in Niles, Calif., and settled on a ranch in the Corralitos Valley where they became pioneers in the apple-growing industry. At the ranch in Corralitos, four children were born: Marie, 1886; Joseph Francisco, 1887; Julius Lawrence, 1890; and Antone Joseph, 1891.
Jose Francisco Rodrigues died in 1919. Catherine died in 1945.
Son Julius, unmarried, died at the ranch in 1931. Joseph, also unmarried, died in 1949 at San Jose. Daughter Catherine Marie Rodrigues, who had entered the Notre Dame Convent April 8, 1907, died at Los Gatos CA on March 16, 1967.
Son ANTONE J. RODRIGUES married married LUCINDA ROSALINE SILVA on April 21, 1934 at Capitola, Calif. She was born in 1903 at nearby Aptos. Antone died in 1970. His widow Lucinda later lived in Auburn, Calif.
Catherine Jessie Francisco Rodrigues was lauded in a poem written by a fellow Grange member which appeared in the 1980 publication, Corralitos.
[Pat Amaral, in winter issue of Jose Francisco Rodrigues Family newsletter]
ALBERT RODGERS (Albert Mendes) was born in Pico in 1849 and immigrated to California and the Sacramento area with his two brothers, Joseph and John, all three being whalers. The 1880 Census lists Albert Rogers age 26 as a fisherman, but that conflicts with family information that has him arriving in 1865 at age 16.
Albert married ROSE GEAR, age 16, who was born in Terceira in 1864 and came to California at age seven. Their children were: Albert (1885-1977); Emma (1883-1889); Willie (1887-1898); Mary (1889-1890); Emma (1892-1920); Margaret (1893-1978); twins George and Frank born 1896; Willie A. (1901-1902); and Edward, who died in 1908 at age two or three. Of the twins, Frank died in 1980 and George in 1984.
Albert and Rose had a small ranch of 18 acres about where today Park Riviera intersects with Pocket Road, seven acres of which stayed in the family, being later apportioned among their children. Frank stayed with one acre where he built his first home. His twin, George, built his home on the adjoining acre. Albert remained with a half-acre for his home. Margaret kept four acres which included her parents' home, and where she lived until her death, all of her children being born there. Margaret first married a Lee, and then a Machado. Eleven acres of the Rodgers ranch, on the east side of the then Riverside Road, were sold to Manuel "Parola Perry, Sr. Daughter Emma (the second Emma) married Joseph Souza, whose nickname was "Joe Bonnie." Their ranch was located south of the town of Clarksburg.
Albert Rodgers died in 1923 at age 74, his wife Rosie in 1905.
Mendes is the true family name. The brothers took different names to avoid confusion with mail Albert taking Rodgers; Joseph, who settled in Clarksburg, keeping the Mendes name; and John, who went into the restaurant business in Vallejo, adopting the name Potter. The three Mendes brothers vowed they would each have ten children. Albert and Rosa Rodgers' twin sons Frank and George dropped the "d" and spelled their names Rogers.
In the family plot at St. Joseph's Cemetery is Albert's brother Joseph Mendes, 1849-1939, buried with his wife Florinda G. Mendes, 1860-1944.
GEORGE ROGERS was born in the Pocket area June 22, 1896, as noted above, and attended the original Lisbon School in the Pocket along with his twin brother Frank. On December 16, 1916, at St. Joseph's Church in Clarksburg, George married ANNA FAGUNDES, daughter of Florin Fagundes of Sao Jorge, and Josephine Fisher of Monterey. Anna was born October 6, 1897. Their only child, Mildred, was born May 17, 1919, and died July 30, 1941.
George fished commercially for catfish from the Brickyard to Clarksburg. He then had a trucking business which included three trucks and hauled produce for Libby, McNeill & Libby Cannery for 20 years from about 1930 to 1950. He drove the Pocket/Riverside school bus for a year, and then drove a truck for the Crystal Sugar Co. in Clarksburg for nine seasons until he retired at age 65. He died May 15, 1984.
FRANK ROGERS, George's twin brother, was born on his parents' ranch June 22, 1896. After marrying, he first had a trucking business which consisted of six trucks in which he hauled hay and produce. About 1933 he bought a 43-acre ranch next to and north of the John M. Silva goao Maria) ranch, where he planted asparagus, and later alfalfa, sugar beets and tomatoes.
When 17, Frank shot himself in the left hand with his shotgun as he got out of his boat on the Sacramento River. The shot passed through his hand and damaged the muscle in his arm. He overcame this handicap and led a normal life.
He married MARY AGNES SILVA, daughter of Antone L. and Maria Silva from the Pocket on November 12, 1917. Mary Agnes was born February 4,1900, when her parents were farming in the Grant. They had two daughters, Lorraine and Aileen. Lorraine married Joseph L. Valine, and Aileen married Richard Cabral.
In the late 1960s Frank and Rose sold the ranch for subdivision. Later the real estate firm sold part of the acreage on the levee to the City for a park and boat ramp, now part of Garcia Bend Park. Frank died January 27, 1980.
[Lorraine Rogers Valine; George Rogers; Frank Rogers]
MANUEL L. ROGERS was born in Pico in February 1865, one of eight children of Manuel Rogers, who died in 1923 at age 80, and Marian Joseph, who died in 1918. Their other children: Mary, Antone, John, Henry, Joseph, Serafine, and Rosie.
Young Manuel left Pico at age 18 for California, going first to Pleasanton where he worked for wages, and then to Sacramento where, on January 29, 1893, he married FLORA SMITH, a native of Grand Island in the Delta, and daughter of John Smith and Mary Joseph. John Smith was born in Faial, but raised in Pico; Mary Joseph was from Sao Jorge.
Manuel Rogers' 77-acre farm on Grand Island was devoted to fruit, asparagus, and general farming.
Manuel L. and Flora Rogers had eight children: Manuel, Clara, Joseph, William, Angie, Edward, Violet, and Ernest. Manuel Jr. and Joseph served in World War I. Manuel Jr. married Chloe Alves; Joseph married Theresa Alves; Angie married Frank Pimentel.
[History of Sacramento County, 1823]
TOM ROGERS (Thomaz Rodrigues Tavares) was born November 8, 1870, in Criacao Velha, Pico, the youngest of 11 children of Francisco Rodrigues Tavares and Maria Jacintha Brazil. Nine of the children were raised to adulthood: Basil, Frank, Manuel, Tony, Joseph, Luiz, Mary, Catherine, and Thomas. Tom's father, Francisco, was a farmer for many years, and later in life a builder of stone houses. He died in Pico at age 99; his wife, Maria, at age 95.
Tom went to Folsom at age 15 in 1885. Four of his brothers, Basil, Frank, Manuel, and Tony were already there mining. He had been educated well in Pico so his brothers wanted him to go to school here, but he caught the gold fever and refused to go, instead joining his brothers in the mines. About 1890 he returned to Pico to visit his family. When he returned he continued mining and working on the Natomas Co. dredgers.
He married MARY PERRY on December 30, 1901 in Sacramento. She was born January 18, 1881, in Folsom, the daughter of Frank and Mary Perry. The senior Mary Perry died at age 63. Tom and Mary Rogers had eight children: Katie, Mary, Agnes, Thomas, Eddie, Aileen, Elaine, and Basil.
Tom Rogers continued mining until 1910, then moved to Newcastle, where in the beginning he rented fruit ranches from Antone Ferreira, Antone Perry, and J.e. Noia. He then bought his own 38-acre fruit ranch about 1919.
During the Depression when things were bad he was afraid he might lose his ranch. Out of desperation he went down behind the barn and by instinct started mining for gold. He set up a mill to crush rock, made sand and caught it with quicksilver. In his blacksmith shop he melted the gold and poured it into small bars. He made enough money to save the ranch. When others learned of his good fortune they would bring him rocks to study. All around his porch railing there was a row of rocks.
He lived to age 86 and died July 8, 1956, in Auburn. His wife Mary lived to age 94 and died March 25, 1975, in Auburn.
[Mary Davis; History of Placer and Nevada Counties, 1924]
MANUEL ROGERS (Manuel Rodrigues Tavares) was born December 8, 1882 in Criacao Velha, Pico. His father was Luiz Rodrigues Tavares, brother of Francisco. He immigrated to America in 1902 and joined his uncle, Tom Rogers (above), in Folsom. He mined, worked on the dredgers, and dredger machine shops.
In 1910 he went to Newcastle and worked on the fruit ranches. He was a tenant farmer on the Ferreira, Antone Perry, John Noia, and John Soto ranches.
He married ISABELLE PERRY from Folsom on February 17, 1906 in St. John's Church. She was born in Folsom July 5, 1887. They had three children, but only Isabelle lived to adulthood. Agnes Katie died at six months and Frank Louie at five days.
Manuel Rogers was killed in a blasting accident February 14, 1930 on the Carlson ranch in Newcastle where they were blasting fruit trees. Manuel Gomes was also seriously injured in the same accident.
His wife Isabelle lived to age 90 and died on January 24, 1978, in Auburn.
[Isabelle Rogers Schmitt]
ANTONIO GARCIA Da ROSA was born May 30, 1882, sixth son of Joao Garcia and Maria Margarida DaRosa, at Sao Rogue, Pico. Antonio immigrated to America as a young man, and came to Sacramento in 1900 with friends who had relatives here. He located his cousin, Manuel G. Rosa, Sr., who lived on the levee just south of what was later to become the Da Rosa property. After arriving here, at some point before he married he worked for the Southern Pacific Railroad.
Subsequently, he found employment as the Captain's Boy on the steamship Apache which traveled on the Sacramento River between Red Bluff and San Francisco, often taking several months to make the trip. Because of the low streambed and sandbars, Chinese coolies were hired on the levees to pull the steamer upstream. During flood periods the ship would lean toward the break in the levee and become mired. His wages were paid in gold pieces.
In 1910 he thought it was time to return to Pico to claim his bride, a girl he had left behind. He and MARIA FILOMENA SIMAS were married on July 18, 1910, and returned to Sacramento to start a new life. She was born December 25, 1889, one of three children.
Antonio met Charles Conley who owned a general merchandising store just south of Sutter School on Riverside Road. Conley encouraged Antonio to buy his store, and invited Antonio and Maria to live with him and his wife, Ida, in their home.
Antonio and Maria had three sons and three daughters. The sons were born in the Conley home and the daughters were born later in the Da Rosa home on Riverside Road. Son Elmer died in 1952, Irvin in 1955, and Francis M. DaRosa in 1986. The daughters are Alice M. Powell of Sacramento, and Elvira J. Jacobs and Marie D. Dutra of Dixon.
Since Antonio was the independent type, in 1915 he purchased land on the levee side a mile south of the Conley station, and a store and house were built. The store, known as the Riverside Grocery, included a saloon, barbershop, and a gasoline pump. The barbershop existed only in the earlier years. The Riverside Grocery was operated by Antonio and Maria Da Rosa until Antonio retired in 1948. They supplied many needy families with groceries during the Depression. The store subsequently was destroyed by fire. A replacement was constructed and leased as a bar. This building and home were later demolished in April 1968 to make way for Interstate 5. The Da Rosa Marina was located there.
In earlier years, Antonio and Maria Da Rosa also developed a three-acre peach orchard on their property from which peaches were picked, packed and sold to wholesalers to be shipped to the east.
Antonio was past president of Council No. 11 of the UPEC and of IDES Gloria Council No. 3. He was a member of the Board of Trustees of Sutter School for several years in the early 1920s, and was a member of the Reclamation Board during Governor Olsen's term. He helped some Japanese immigrants with their citizenship papers and drivers' licenses.
Antonio died October 2, 1968, and Maria Filomena on December 16, 1965.
Their eldest son, Col. Elmer G. Da Rosa, was killed over Iwo Jima July 15, 1952, during the historical flight from Travis Air Force Base to Japan in an F84G Thunderjet during which refueling in the air was being experimented. As a private pilot flying out of the now Executive Airport on Freeport Boulevard, he provided a number of local boys with their first flight experience.
[Alice Da Rosa Powell; Elvira J. Da Rosa Jacobs]
Joseph S. De ROSA came from the island of Flores. Upon coming to the United States, he panned for gold in the Folsom area for many years, later working for the Natomas Company, who paid its workers every six months. He walked to and from work a distance of about five miles.
Around 1890 he married ANNA De ROZA (no relation), a native of Pico. They had five children: Joe, Frank, Rose, Mary (died at a young age), and later another girl named Mary.
Anna made a number of quilts, one of which she donated to St. John the Baptist Church in Folsom to raffle off to raise money to install water pipes in the nearby cemetery.
Joe died in the late 1930s at age 89; Anna died in 1948.
Daughter ROSE ANNA De ROSA, who was born in Folsom, married MANUEL Joseph NORDESTE (Manuel Joseph Machado), who was born July 16, 1892 in Ribeirinha, Pico. He had come to Sacramento about 1919, where he first worked on the river boats and then had a grocery store at 3rd and S Streets called Nordeste Cash and Carry. He had started to use his grandfathers nickname of Nordeste (northeast) as there was already an M.J. Machado in the same business in Sacramento. He closed the store in the late 1930s and opened a bar at 3rd and N Streets, which he operated until his death in 1946. Rose died in August 1974.
The store was a meeting place in the early afternoon for the retired Portuguese men to gather and speak of the days events and the homeland.
Manuel and Rose Nordeste had three children: Irving (died at seven months), Thelma, and Lorraine.
MANUEL GARCIA ROSA (nicknamed Magun) was born November 17, 1871 in Sao Rogue, Pico, son of Manuel Garcia Da Rosa and the former Maria Silveira. He entered the United States on July 15, 1889, and coming to Sacramento he stayed at the home of his uncle, Antone F. Silva (Silveira) on E Street between 12th and 13th.
There he met and then married MARY ALVERNAZ, who came to the U.S. in the 1890s and stayed at the home of Antone Silva where she worked as a maid. She was born November 17, 1866 in Sao Roque, the daughter of Frank Alvernaz and the former Mary A. Rosa. Manuel and Mary Rosa had two daughters both of whom died at three months of influenza, and a son, Manuel Rosa Jr. who was born ten years later.
Manuel Rosa worked for Antone Silva in 1890s on ranches in the Grant, and worked on freight steamers plying the Sacramento River between Sacramento and San Francisco, before acquiring his 33.3-acre ranch on Riverside Road in the early 1900s from his uncle Antone Silva for $6,000. From that time on relatives and friends came from the Azores and stayed at his place until they found work. Some of them also worked for him.
Originally the property, known as the Munger Ranch, had totaled 100 acres and had been purchased from Munger by Manuel Silveira and Antone Silva, who were brothers. It was then split into three parcels. Manuel Garcia Rosa, on the advice of his uncle Antone, took the middle piece. The north piece of 33.3 acres was purchased by John Pedro (nicknamed "Black John"), and the southernmost 33.3 acres was purchased by Manuel Mauricio, who was also a cousin of Manual Rosa and a nephew of the Silveiras.
They farmed row crops beans, onion, potatoes, cabbage, etc., which they delivered to the Wood-Curtis Company and the Ennis Brown Company. They also had a dairy.
Manuel Rosa, Sr. caught fish in the Sacramento River for home use and sold the surplus.
A lot of salmon caught in those early days was salted and stored in crocks, or salted and hung in the barn to dry. In the winter months hogs were butchered and linguica and morcela made. Hams and bacon and other pork products were salted in crocks to last for the winter months. He also made a lot of wine - from three to six barrels each year.
Manuel Garcia Rosa became a U.S. citizen on September 22, 1906. He died December 8, 1952 at age 81. (The November 1871 birthdate noted above is from his death certificate; his citizenship papers have him born December 15, 1872.) His wife Mary died July 17, 1935, the main cause of death being diabetes.
Manuel Garcia Rosa, Jr., their son, was born April 16, 1910. He attended Sutter School and graduated in June 1923. His first year of high school was at Harkness High School on 10th and P Streets, finishing his last three years at Sacramento High School, from which he graduated in June 1927.
In 1924 "Maguninho," as he was known, started to work for the Retailers Credit Association as an office boy, until 1928. After high school, in 1927 and 1928, he went to Heald's Business College for about six months and graduated in what ordinarily would take two years, having taken a lot of the courses already in high school.
He went to work at Sacramento Box and Lumber Company in 1928, until 1939 when the firm joined the Western Box Distributors of San Francisco as their selling agents, and Manuel Jr. became a district manager for Western. He rejoined Sacramento Box in 1952 as a sales manager. From 1933 until the firm liquidated in 1958 he was a stockholder of the firm and served as a member of the board of directors. He then founded Florin Box & Lumber Co. by buying equipment from Sacramento Box to get started, and has been president and chairman ever since.
He had also been a partner in Western Box Distributors, and in Sierra Forest Products Company, a veneer plant first operating in a barn on the property of Frank J. Lewis before moving to Florin.
On October 19, 1930 Manuel Rosa Jr. married Mary F. Dutra, daughter of Antone and Luisa Dutra. (See DUTRA.)
[Manuel G. Rosa Jr.]
JOSE FERREIRA ROSA came to California in 1911 from Dardavaz, Portugal, where he was born March 20, 1888. He left behind his wife, the former MARGARIDA De MATTOS, and three-year-old son Candido. He promised his wife Margarida he would send for her as soon as he made enough money to pay for their passage.
Joe, as he was soon called, found work in Yolo County, working on Joe Santos' ranch. He worked hard, getting up at daybreak and working with a team of horses until dark and sometimes having to milk cows before breakfast, earning a dollar a day and room and board.
By 1914 he had saved enough money to send for his wife and son. When they arrived they went to live with Joe on the ranch in a two-room cabin which the boss provided.
Margarida began cooking for the hired men. During the hop season she and Candido picked hops for extra money and in the spring picked wild mushrooms which Joe took into town to the Italian restaurants. They began saving money.
But Margarida didn't like where they lived. Very ambitious, she told Joe they could make money if they had their own place. She would raise pigs and calves. So Joe went out and began looking and soon found on the Garden Highway in Natomas a ranch for rent belonging
began looking and soon found on the Garden Highway in Natomas a ranch for rent belonging to Rose Sheehan and a Miss Kyaul, two old-maid school teachers.
In early 1920 they moved in and began raising hogs, sheep and calves for market and Joe began clearing ground of brush and oaks for the Natomas Company, pulling tree stumps with his horses. It was hard work. Joe began farming this ground that he cleared, the Natomas Company letting him have it for five years free of rent for his work. After that he paid a share rent to the company.
Candido was then 12 years old and he helped on the ranch, fed the hogs, and cattle before going to school, and pumped water by hand to fill the troughs. Margarida had had surgery, and wasn't able to do much for a long time, so a lot of work fell on the young son.
By then they had another son, Wilbert Rosa, who was born in September 1915 in Yolo County. Another son, Manuel Rosa, was born in February 1919.
Joe cleared many hundreds of acres of ground for the Natomas Company. He began raising crops of beans, tomatoes, and alfalfa, besides the livestock, and they began to prosper. When the first Fordson tractors came out Joe bought one to help get the work done faster and was able to work more ground. Candido operated the tractor, and they were very proud of it because not many people had one at the time.
In the meantime Joe and Margarida had bought some acreage of their own and in 1935 they had a house built by Frank Sarmento. This ranch was just across the road from where they were living. At last Margarida had her own ranch and house. They kept buying more ground until Joe and Margarida owned 800 acres of their own. Some of it they had to sell to Sacramento County for the Metropolitan Airport.
Margarida and Joe made a trip to Portugal in 1930 and again in 1948. Margarida died in January 1965, and Joe died in September 1975.
Candido F. Rosa, the oldest son, was born in Dardavoz, Portugal, in 1908. He had been attending the Monument School in Yolo County, and when the family moved to Natomas he attended the American Basin School on Elkhorn Road - a one-room school house where all eight grades were together. The boys had to keep the wood stove going in the winter, hauling in the wood. There were two outdoor toilets, no running water, and no electric lights. He graduated from American Basin in 1923. (There is no American Basin School now.)
In 1924 he entered Sacramento High school, then at 18th and K Streets. To get there he had to cross the Sacramento River on the Elkhorn Ferry. On the Yolo side he waited for the Northern Electric train coming from Woodland. When the river was high in the winter the ferry did not operate and the children couldnµt get to school. The County paid $5.00 a month toward their transportation. They missed quite a bit of school in the winter, so Candido bought a motorcycle and rode it to school. After two years he quit school and worked on his fatherµs ranch.
In 1930 he married Mary Ferreira. They had attended American Basin School together. Candido continued farming with his father. Later the two younger brothers, Wilbert and Manuel Rosa, joined in the partnership. In 1945 the partnership broke up, and Candido then farmed for himself, raising beans, canning tomatoes for Del Monte, corn, and grain.
Candido and Mary had two children: Joyce Rosa Pappa and Donald Joseph Rosa. In 1957 they built a new house on the Garden Highway ranch. Candido continued farming and his operation grew. In December 1966 he had an accident and died. Mary later moved out of their home when the County bought her ranch for a buffer zone for Metropolitan Airport. (See FERREIRA.)
Wilbert Rosa, the middle son, went on his own when the partnership broke up. He had
a new home built near El Centro Road in Natomas where he farmed. By then he had four children - Ardith Jackson, Rodney Rosa, Drena McDonald, and Denise Bertolino. Wilbert later married the widowed Lorrene Nevis Dutra, and Wilbert's son Rodney, along with his stepson Joe Dutra, joined Wilbert in farming. Now retired, Wilbert and Lorrene live on the home place he built.
The youngest son, Manuel Rosa, lives on the home place of his parents with his wife, Teofla Silva Rosa. Manuel and Teofla have two daughters, Karen Ferguson and Odette Eber-sole. Manuel, now retired, farmed for many years in partnership with his father and brothers before going out on his own.
There are four generations of Rosas still living in Natomas.
[Mary Ferreira Rosa]
JOSE LEAL da ROZA, born in 1846 in Piedade, Pico, was the most prominent and successful of four Da Roza brothers in the Sacramento area. Unverifiable stories have been told in the family that a grandparent or greatgrandparent was involved in the smuggling of tobacco from Virginia to Portugal, hiding the tobacco from British officials at sea by covering the goods with wild roses to be used as perfume in Europe.
Jose's brothers and sisters who came to California, described below, were Antone, Guilermo, and Joaquim; Antonette, who married Jose Xavier Dias; and Maria, who married Antonio A. Martins. (See MARTIN.) The oldest of the Leal da Rozas, Manuel, never immigrated to the U.S., although he did die in a New England hospital. (See HOLMES.)
One family account has Jose as a lad working his way across the country to California as a ·candy butcher," selling candy on the train. His obituary in the Sacramento Union on December 15, 1909, says he "came to this valley 35 years ago after wandering about California for a number of years." Counting back 35 years from 1909 would place him in the area around 1874 at age 28.
At some point in those years he worked as a barber in a shop on L Street between 2nd and 3rd Streets before settling down in Elk Grove.
He married Matilda, who in Portugal had been governess for a Portuguese family who had moved to Brazil. She eventually left Brazil for the United States. Both Jose and Matilda were quite frugal, and managed to save enough money to buy into the Elk Grove Winery in 1886, then owned by John Neves, before buying him out in 1895. (See Chapter 11.)
The winery was a very successful operation, and provided the wherewithal for Jose, little by little, to acquire considerable ranch and city property. At the time of his death on December 14, 1909 he was said to be worth close to half a million dollars, a considerable fortune in those days.
Matilda died on May 20, 1894, at age 39. She and Jose had two children, Clarence and Frank da Roza. Jose then married CLARA F. SILVA, and with her had five more children. Jose died of stomach cancer at Wentworth Hospital on December 14, 1909, at age 53. Clara died May 23, 1912.
Clarence, Matilda's son, died at age 14 on July 1, 1914, and Frank Leal da Roza died of a heart attack at age 44 on March 6, 1943, at Camp Buckley, Colorado, having been inducted into the army in World War II.
The children of Jose and Clara:
MABEL C. da ROZA (1885-1958), who married WILLIAM O. THOMAS. He died in 1952.
IDA MAE da ROZA (1891-1951), who married Thomas A. Farrell, a prominent Sacramento attorney, and had three children, Joseph da Roza Farrell, Ida Mae Farrell, and Thomas A. Farrell II.
JOSEPH LEAL da ROZA, who died February 11, 1975, at age 80.
JOHN LEAL da ROZA, who died May 10, 1937, at age 43. He married Helen Anchor, and had one son, Donald R. da Roza.
EDWARD LEAL da ROZA, who married Roma Spagnoli, daughter of the Italian consul in San Francisco, D'Avalo Benedetto Spagnoli. Edward managed the winery after his fatherµs death. Their children were Ida Zara da Roza, Ernest da Roza, Vierra da Roza, Leal da Roza, and Edward da Roza II.
ANTONE LEAL da ROZA, brother of Jose, was born in Piedade, Pico, in 1859, and also achieved considerable success in business, as a builder. He married FILAMENA RODERICK (not the original family name) of Stockton, and they built a home on the corner of 13th and T Streets in Sacramento around 1911.
Among Antoneµs major construction projects were the Y Street levee in partnership with Tom Burns; the sewer system in the city of Monterey; the Jibboom Street bridge in Sacramento; and the Salinas-Monterey highway. It was said that he never used rulers in his work, just pieces of wood marked off to the desired length at the moment.
Quite well off like his brother Jose, it was to Antone that other family members usually turned when they needed money to go into business or to bring over from the Azores other family members.
Antone died August 12, 1926, at age 67, and Filamena a month later, on September 13, at age 60. Their children, in order of birth:
JOSEPHINE da ROZA (1882-1974), who married ANTONE FIGEARO (1876-1941). Their children: Ernest (1902-1981), who changed his name to Bradford, and for several years operated the Ernie Bradford's Chevron at 15th and 0 Streets now run by his son, Earl; and Florence, Walter, and Alvin Figearo.
ELIZABETH da ROZA (1884-1963), who married her first cousin, WILLIAM LEAL da ROZA (1879-1952), who had changed his name to Rose. He was the son of Guilermo Leal da Roza mentioned below. The children of William and Elizabeth: William Florin Rose, Lucille A. Rose, and Walter J. Rose. Walter was a mailman in Sacramento.
MARGARET da ROZA, who married JOHN JACINTO and had one child, Richard Jacinto, a Sacramento attorney. (See JACINTO.)
ALFRED da ROZA, who married twice, to Vail Allen and had a son, Gene; and then to Rose Halpren.
ADELINE da ROZA, whose first marriage was to Crawford Cox, Sacramento Sheriff, and then to Forest Bockey and Phillip Molter. A cousin once described her and her mother as two of the most beautiful women in Sacramento in their youth.
WILBERT R. da ROZA (1904-1982), who married Ina Stinchfield. They had two children, Dolores Pierce and Robert L. da Roza. Wilbert was an accomplished swimmer, and won a number of meets at Sacramento High School in his youth.
GUILHERMO LEAL da ROZA, like his brothers, was born in Piedade, Pico, in 1854. Some of his brothers were already in the Sacramento area when he arrived. Here he married MARGARET CORTHINO, born in the Azores, who died April 4, 1920 at age 65.
Guilhermo, or William, was in the house-moving business. He bought a number of houses around the State Capitol and moved them to the area of 5th and S Streets. This was done with a team of horses and cable affixed to a ratchet. A 100-ft. cable would be wrapped around a house, presumably on skids, and the cable connected to a ratchet hitched to the team of horses, according to a cousin, Joe Holmes. The horses would go round and round, inching the house forward until the length of the cable was used up snug against the horse hitch. Then the cable would be detached, again let out to its 100-ft. length, reconnected to the house, and the procedure repeated over and over until the new home site was reached.
At one point William went back to the Azores and bought some boats, and engaged in commercial fishing there for a while before returning to the Sacramento area.
The children of Guilhermo and Margaret: William Leal da Roza (Bill Rose), who married his first cousin, Elizabeth, as noted above, and who operated Rose's Cafe, a bar at 12th and I Streets in Sacramento. He was a diabetic, and eventually suffered the loss of both legs; JOSEPH LEAL da ROZA (1881-1954); and FLORINDO LEAL da ROZA, who married Margaret Gould, and had a son, Leo Gould da Roza.
JOAQUIM LEAL da ROZA, known in Sacramento as King, married AMELIA ROSE. He had a bar on K Street. He left his family at some time and disappeared. King and Amelia had five children:
JOSEPH da ROZA, who married JULIA COSTA and had a daughter Lorraine.
AMELIA da ROZA, who married John Paladini, and had a daughter, Myrtle, who at one time was married to Al Marty.
CARRIE da ROZA, who married Deline Smith, and then an Azevedo. JOAQUIN da ROZA, who married twice, to a Libbie and a Margaret.
MARY G. da ROZA, who married MANUEL ROSE. Their children: Leona, Dolores, Mary, Richard, and Amelia, who married Harlan Roby.
ANTONETTE da ROZA married JOSE XAVIER DIAS. Their children: Alfred (1880-1959), William X. Dias (1871-1926); Annie Dias Muller; Joseph X. Dias (1870-1939), who married Annie Stowers; Evelyn Dias Manuel; and Edward Dias, a Sacramento dentist, who married Mamie McGushin. (See DIAS.)
MARIA LEAL da ROZA, who married ANTONIO A. MARTINS. Their children: Antone, Elith, Emilio, John, Rita Schwander, Gabriella Bettencourt, and Mary Silvey.
[Joseph Leal Holmes; Joseph da Roza Farrell; Adeline Molter; Manuel R. Holmes; Lionel Holmes; Sacramento Llnion J
ANTONE ROSE was born in Taunton, Mass., on September 8, 1897, the son of Jose Rose of Sao Miguel and Maria Margarida Rosa, from Lages, Flores. Antone went back to the Azores, to Lages, with his mother and sister Agnes when he was five years old, and stayed for 14 years. They raised many crops, like potatoes, corn and beans.
He returned to the U.S. when he was 18, landing in Boston. His uncle advised him the best place to get a job was in California, so he went to Lemoore, Kings County, in 1916.
He started working right away. He went to Fresno and worked two months in the grapes. Then he got a job as sheepherder 17 miles south of Coalinga. He worked on the Gomes Bros. ranch seven and a half years for a dollar a day. They were like family to him.
He went to Auburn to see his sister, Maria do Ceu Mancebo, on May 16, 1923. He was going to return to Kings County but he met FILOMENA BOTHELLO, the daughter of Francisco Bothello and the former Emelia Rodrigues. (See Bothello.)
Filomena was born June 21, 1901, in Santa Cruz, Flores, and had gone with her father to Placer County in 1921, staying with her sister and brother. It was love at first sight, so Antone Rose stayed and married Filomena on September 10, 1923, at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Auburn.
He bought a 30-acre ranch on Luther Road., Auburn, and raised plums, pears and cherries. There were 20 acres already planted and he cleared and planted ten more. He lived there 30 years and sold it about 1955. Then he bought a small 14-acre chicken ranch in Penryn and operated it for two years until the egg prices dropped, and then sold out.
He lived on the Joe Duarte ranch about three years and worked at various jobs, on ranches, summers in the fruit houses and Wongs Dry Yard. Then they bought a house and moved to Chantry Hill, Newcastle. He continued to work summers in the fruit houses and retired at age 73 in 1970.
MANUEL FRANCISCO ROSE (Da Rosa) was born in Castelo Branco, Faial, on February 12, 1845. He had two sisters, Marian, who married Joao Bello; Frances, who married Antone Neves, and a brother who went to New Zealand.
Manuel married ROSA SOARES, born in the same village in 1840, and the two immigrated to the U.S. in the 1860s, making their first home at Mission San Jose, the area where Rosa's brothers and sisters had settled, spreading into the Niles, Centerville, Alvarado, and Decota areas. Manuel worked there along with his wife's family and relatives.
Rosa had three brothers and four sisters: Frank Soares, Joseph F. Soares, Joaquim Soares, Mary Louisa Soares Caldeira, Maria Gloria Soares Caldeira, Frances Soares, and Louisa Soares Garcia.
Rosa was a fragile lady with an unknown blood problem, and lost all of her infant children, who were buried at the San Jose Mission cemetery.
The Da Rosas moved to the Clarksburg area at the approach of the mid-1870s, making their home near the Freeport Ferry landing on the ranch of their friends, John and Frances Soto. A few years later the first Catholic church in the area, St. Josephµs, was built alongside the Da Rosa home.
While there Rosa again lost more infant children, who were buried at St. Joseph's Cemetery in Sacramento. Finally, she was able to save two children, a girl and a boy, only to lose the girl when she drowned in a large clothes washtub when, alone, the child leaned into the tub to reach for something, suspended from her waist. She fell face down into the tub and drowned before anyone could reach her.
Rosa gratefully devoted her time, love and interest to her one and only surviving child, son Anthony (Tony) Frank Rose, who was born January 3, 1881. To his parents, everything Tony did was just wonderful, but others considered him spoiled, as when, at the first Mass in the home of John and Frances Soto, with all the neighbors and a Portuguese priest gathered to discuss the need to build a Catholic church in the area, young Tony got the urge to tap John Soto on his bald head when he and the others were kneeling in silence with bowed heads. The incident was ignored by Tony's parents, much to John Soto's disgust.
But Tony Rose eventually grew up to be a fine lad and kind and thoughtful son, sharing everything with his parents even after he married.
Manuel Da Rosa, who later called himself Rose, worked for various farmers in the area, fished in the winter, and became the ferryman on John Soto's Freeport Ferry for many years. (See Chapter 14 for an account of the ferries.) The farmers would load their vegetables at night to keep them cool and fresh for delivery to the city markets, and would start lining up their loaded wagons at the ferry landing as early as 2:00 a.m. Manuel had to judge the weight of the produce, the buggies, wagons, animals, equipment and passengers aboard on each trip.
The ferry was inoperable during the stormy high waters, so Manuel would help his son, ANTHONY ROSE (Tony), deliver mail from the town of Freeport to Sacramento, from Phil
Riehl's Grocery in Freeport to the Post office at 7th and K Streets. During the fiooding seasons water would reach from Willow Slough (where Bing Maloney Golf Course and the Executive Airport are now) to St. Joseph's Cemetery at Freeport Road and Y Street. Manuel and Tony would row a boat, meet a postal deliveryman from the 7th and K Street Post Office, exchange the mail being delivered to and from Freeport, then row back to the Willow Slough area.
For recreation and pastime, Manuel would gather with neighborhood friends at the Soto Saloon in Clarksburg to play cards, usually Pedro, sharing on a five-cent glass of beer for the winner.
Rosa Soares Rose, Manuel's wife, assumed the duties of cleaning St. Joseph's Church, and made the Sunday communion hosts for the priest.
Manuel Francisco Rose died in Clarksburg on November 2, 1922, at age 77. Rosa died in Sacramento on October 14, 1930, at age 89.
Their son, Tony Rose, married MARY A. CONTENTE (Mamie/Mae) on November 19, 1904, at St. Joseph's Church in Clarksburg when Tony was 23 and Mary was 15, although Mary indicated age 18 on the marriage license to avoid legal delays. Father Seraphine G. Soares, pastor, officiated at the wedding.
Mary A. Contente was born on January 31, 1889, in Clarksburg, the daughter of Joseph Silva Contente and the former Rita Silveira Bittencourt. In addition to being the mail carrier, Tony Rose was a parttime barber, with a shop in a small room in the John Soto Saloon building. He was also a produce commissioner for his cousins' Half Moon Produce Company in the Bay Area, which was owned by his mother's nephews, the Garcia brothers.
Tony was a clarinetist in the first Freeport Band, and played with the Camellia City Band in Sacramento. He and Mary were the choir singers for St. Josephµs Church and for St. Maryµs Church in the Pocket, and Mary was organist for both churches from the time they married until 1925 when they moved to Sacramento. Mary continued playing the organ at St. Elizabeth's Church in Sacramento for some years. They had moved to Sacramento by 1925 when part of their property was taken for construction of the new St. Joseph's Church in Clarksburg.
In Sacramento, Tony Rose opened a barbershop at 1624 11th Street on the Manuel Williams property alongside the Waxon Bros. Electric Co. and the Williams Grocery Store, continuing there until his retirement following a heart attack in 1949. Upon retirement, he and Mary moved around the corner to 1021 Q Street, where Tony died on October 5, 1959, at age 78. Mary died May 17, 1972, at age 83.
Mary and Tony had two children: Ernest Anthony Rose, born May 16, 1912, and Lillian Marie Rose, born October 9, 1917. Ernie, who married Grace Mildred Freitas on November 17, 1940, died January 24, 1988, at age 75. Lillian married Richard E. Black in June 1939.
[Grace Freitas Rose]
From the "Portuguese Pionners of the Sacramento Area" by Lionel Holmes and Joseph D'alessandro -Published by: the Portuguese Historical Society - P.O. Box 161990, Sacramento - California 95616.